Financial Aid Programs

  • College Bound Scholarship – This program is an early commitment of state financial aid to eligible students who sign up in middle school and fulfill the pledge
  • Federal Work Study – This federally funded program provides employment opportunities both on and off campus for students with financial need. Reading or math tutors for local school districts are examples of federal work study off campus jobs.
  • Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant – This is a federal grant program for the neediest students who are eligible for Pell.
  • Ford Direct Loans – (Subsidized and Unsubsidized) – These educational loans which must be repaid after the student graduates, provide another source of funding for the eligible student. The student must be enrolled for at least 6 credits. Loan applications and information are available in the Financial Aid office and on the Financial Aid webpage on the Big Bend website,
  • Pell Grant – Pell is the largest federal grant program for needy students. It is an entitlement program which means, if the student is eligible, the funds will be available during the school year.
  • PLUS Loans – Parents of dependent students can borrow these non-need based loans. Additional information is available in the Financial Aid office or on the Big Bend Community College website at
  • State Work Study – This state funded program provides employment opportunities both on and off campus for students with financial need. When possible, students are placed in positions relating to their major field of study or career goals.
  • Washington College Grant – This is a state grant program for undergraduate students who meet the program’s income and Washington state residency requirements
  • Washington Tuition Waiver – This program waives a portion of the tuition for eligible Washington residents. The tuition waiver is awarded based on the student’s need.
  • Washington Tuition Grant – The tuition grant is awarded based on the student’s need


All scholarship information, including application forms, may be obtained from the Financial Aid Office and online at

BBCC Foundation Scholarship

The BBCC scholarship application is online at and filters applicants based on answers into scholarships whose criteria is met. At Big Bend Community College, we have over 100 scholarships and offer three different types of scholarships: Named Scholarships, Foundation General Scholarships, and Intervention Scholarships

Intervention scholarships can help cover unexpected emergencies that arise which prevent a student from completing their education and are awarded on emergency basis only. The application for the Emergency Funds Scholarship can be found online at

The BBCC Foundation governs a majority of the BBCC scholarships, and their office is located in the University Center Hallway in the ATEC/1800 building. More information, including the application, can be found online at:

Scholarships Awarded by Outside Organizations

A number of scholarships are awarded directly by organizations to BBCC students. These scholarships may be for students returning to BBCC the next year or for BBCC graduates pursuing a degree at a four-year institution. Information about these scholarships is posted online at

BBCC Grant & Funding Resources

Basic Food Employment and Training

The Basic Food Employment and Training (BFET) program provides assistance with tuition, fees, books, transportation, and other support services to students who receive food benefits from DSHS. Participation in the BFET program will allow a student to keep food benefits while attending college, as well as access child care assistance through Working Connections Child Care. Students must be in a short-term (two-year or less) workforce education program of study in order to qualify.

Early Achievers Grant

The Early Achievers Grant is for students who are working toward a certificate or degree in Early Childhood Education and are employed in a childcare center or family home that is participating in Washington Early Achievers for a minimum of 40 hours per month or 10 hours per week. (See Washington State Department of Children, Youth, & Families: The program will cover tuition, fees, books, and other support services for eligible students. Must be a Washington resident in order to qualify.

Opportunity Grant

The Opportunity Grant is for Washington State residents who meet the income criteria of 200% of poverty level. The program provides 45 credits of tuition and fee assistance, up to $1000 per year for books and tools, and other support services for students in the following approved workforce programs: Accounting, Automotive Technology, Aviation Maintenance Technology, Business Information Management, Business Medical, CDL, Computer Science, Early Childhood Education, Industrial Electrical Technology, Maintenance Mechanics Technology, Medical Assistant, Nursing, Nursing Assistant-Certified, and Welding. To qualify, students must have less than a two year degree, be low-income and pursuing coursework that will satisfy requirements to achieve a certificate and/or two-year professional technical degree developing workplace skills and increased wage earnings.


WorkFirst is Washington State’s welfare reform program for individuals who receive Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF). DSHS administers TANF, which provides temporary cash for families in need. The WorkFirst program helps participants access education and training in order to find and keep jobs. Enrolling in Adult Education classes, including GED, High School Diploma, and ESL as well as Workforce Education, qualify as WorkFirst participation. Through Workforce Education Services, participants may receive tuition and textbook assistance as well as advising and mentoring to ensure graduation and completion.

Worker Retraining

The Worker Retraining funding is a program which provides options for unemployed or underemployed workers to access education and training to maintain employment or to re-enter the workforce. The eligibility criteria includes:

  • Currently receiving unemployment benefits
  • Eligible to receive unemployment benefits
  • Exhausted unemployment benefits within the past 48 months ◦Displaced homemaker (loss of primary income due to becoming widowed, separated or divorced within the past 48 months)
  • Military veteran discharged within the past 48 months. Students may be eligible to receive unemployment benefits while attending school and not participate in job search activities if the training meets the Commissioner Approved Training criteria approved by the Employment Security Department.