Financial Aid

Financial aid can lower the cost of a Big Bend Community College education. The college offers a comprehensive program which includes funding from federal, state, college and private sources. The Big Bend Foundation can provide scholarships for students pursuing the different certificate or degree programs at BBCC.

How to Apply

To be considered for financial aid the student should complete the applicable application:

Free Application for Federal Student Aid, FAFSA - The FAFSA requests information about the student’s and, in some cases their parents’, income and asset information in order to determine eligibility for financial aid. Complete the FAFSA online at

Washington Application for State Financial Aid, WASFA. Students who are not eligible to complete the FAFSA because they are non-citizens, may be eligible for the State Need Grant by completing the WASFA. Complete the WASFA online at:

The financial aid year starts July 1st and ends June 30th. Students need to reapply for financial aid every year. The financial aid applications are available October 1st each year. Check the Financial Aid page on the Big Bend Community College website to determine the priority funding dates for each quarter.

Eligibility Requirements

To be eligible for federal and/or state financial aid the student must meet the conditions listed below. There often are other sources of aid for students who do not meet these requirements.

  • Have a valid Social Security number
  • Be a U.S. citizen or eligible non-citizen
  • Have high school diploma or GED
  • Does not owe a loan or grant overpayment
  • Does not have a Ford Direct Loan or Stafford Loan in default
  • Has not borrowed in excess of loan limits
  • Is maintaining satisfactory academic progress
  • Is not currently enrolled in high school

Recent state laws expanded eligibility of the Washington College Grant to undocumented student who meet the program’s income and eligibility requirements in addition to one of the two criteria listed below 1079 standard:

  • You must graduate from a Washington high school (or earn a GED or equivalent) after living in Washington for at least three consecutive years.
  • Live in Washington after earning high school diploma or equivalent until being admitted to college.
  • Sign an affidavit (written promise) saying you meet the above requirements. Non-U.S. Citizens must also promise that they will apply to become a permanent U.S. resident as soon as they are eligible. The affidavit is included as part of the WASFA.
  • Both students without DACA or with DACA can qualify.